Skip to main content

LIVE FOR THE SUBPLOTS

   
 Ah! but what is life without that faint yet irresistible and somewhat unexpected taste of cinnamon in what you thought was your ordinary cup of white tea.Life's little perks,hey.

I recently watched the season finale of ABC's hit series" How to get away with murder" and i must say I was speechless.Well that's a bit of an overstatement considering i never run out of stuff to say.I'm what people describe as opinionated,'a firecracker' to the classic chauvinist.Regardless,it was nothing short of amazing,but then again what else would one expect given that the show's executive producers were also the ingenious masterminds behind Grey's Anatomy and Scandal. Needless to say(and no,Golly! I haven't been watching Downtown Abbey) the show exuded originality,brilliant casting and writing. But that wasn't why it was such an unforgettable watch.Why i loved it? THE SUBPLOTS(and Viola Davis is freaking awesome).


I think the age-old recipe for success of a TV series.Well,those classified as 'dramas' is an original,beautiful story line smeared carefully with just the right and the right amount of  subplots.Enough to add that 'magic' in a show but not and I insist NOT to dilute the underlying story line.As this is the  cornerstone upon which a great show is founded upon.The rest are you know, what gives the house what we (the non-house builders, civil engineers and all the others at a construction site like my fourth year roommate Irene) call a 'good finish'


Do you ever picture your tombstone?How awfully pessimistic of me.Yea,yea.But no ,really do you ever picture that little unrecognized dash that lies between the day of your birth and that of your demise.Probably,not.Well, the dash,for the most part, represents the time in your life that you spent smelling the flowers.Ironic,isn't it? All of life's triumphs,tribulations,struggles and whatnot represented merely by that little line. 

This irony was highlighted by Mark Salling's character in Glee,'Noah Puckerman', a  devious misguided soul,and yet at that moment of grief,upon the death of Cory Monteith, he exhibits great wisdom.

.A year or two later I was to hear the same irony retorted by one Scott Gration,former US ambassador to Kenya,during his speech during Kenya's national prayer day. A remarkable man,actually who's great achievements reflect those of 'Forest Gump',you know greatness followed by greatness but unlike Forest not accidentally.One of the few who've lived to the fullest.A true example of charisma,nobility,humility among other virtues.

Life's little perks,those are life's sub-plots. The significance of the dash are life's sub-plots.Yes you graduated with honors,became The company's CEO after years of working your way to the top,climbed the Everest,conquered the new found land that would be 'America'.  Don't get me wrong,all of these are by no means  small feats but it's the little things in life that actually define that dash. The ones we loved,the ones we lost,the lives we inspired, the immeasurable legacy one left behind. 

What Viola Davis' character 'Annalise Keating' and cohorts(Well,the crafty bunch of freshman law students and her associates who crave for her approval) display is the undeniable effect of our' side flings'. I use the term' side fling',sadly and regrettably(for all those hopeless romantics,who live for the beautiful works of Nicholas Sparks, like myself) not to describe some raunchy forbidden love affair but to sum up all that we do besides our jobs,school and so forth. You know our personal relationships,passions,hobbies etcetera. 

I for one,i'm well aware of the fault we make everyday choosing to ignore these sideshows,these subplots. That decorate our lives and add color to an otherwise dull world.We are often deceived by the competitive modern day world,that it is only measurable success that counts. We live in a world where the success of a marriage is downplayed and that of having one's own island is exulted.


 Reality. Be realistic, they say.' Keep your eyes on the prize',is the message parents and educators the world over proclaim to young minds. And this prize isn't happiness,oh no! as much as we have trained ourselves to believe that a life with 'more' and even 'excess' is a happier life. We're all caught up in this 'Gold-rush,just as hundreds flocked to California in 1849. Like George Hearst and his fellow countrymen who left behind their families and friends, we too are pushing aside personal relationships and our passions all to 'seek our fortune'.


Jermaine lamarr Cole,popularly known as J.Cole who to me, is one of the greatest rappers since the rise of the genre in the 80's states in his song 'Love yourz', "Always gon' be a bigger house somewhere,but nigga feel me, as long as the people in that *Bleep* love you dearly". So there goes those anti-hip-hop stereotype beliefs it's not always about money,girls and shiny wheels or that 'thug life'. Great wisdom lies amidst all the niggatry.


Anyway,it's all about the flowers folks. It's all about the relationships we build in this life, how we create new ones and rebuild the ones broken. How we touch each other's lives. Our character despite the struggles. Building better families. Marriages with stronger bonds. Spreading love and the one statement we carelessly throw around,'Making the world a better place'.


What will you be remembered for?

The greatest of legacies are created by that which is immeasurable.So by all means live to the fullest.Do that which makes you happy to be alive. A life well lived is really quite simple,actually.Find what it is that makes you happy and who it is that makes you happy and you're set,promise.



               

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like.
Unknown said…
Exceptional work. Fantastic...true to the dot..

Popular posts from this blog

I STIR.

I ran into this girl,she said" why you always blaming?" "Why can't you just face it?" .............. "Why you always talking shit,always be complaining? "Why you always gotta be,why you always gotta be so mad?                I got alot to be mad about. ↠ Solange(MAD) Here's the thing I'm hangover. And not the good kind and you're probably wondering is there really a good kind of hangover? Well yes, yes there is There's the kind of hangover after one of those blissful nights. You know the kind that you wake up with that bloody blissful nostalgia of the heightened emotions , the free existing , the lights , the laughter . The taste of liquor still racing around on your tongue and his scent lingering around you like a bad yet thrilling dream. I'm the bad kind of hangover though, You know when you wake and it's like there's a ton of bricks weighing down on your head and you feel sick, si

THE F WORD

    Sure you can buy me a drink,    I'm a feminist honey,not an idiot.        Well,aren't you feisty, lady problems?    Yea,the wage gap. The F word .You must be thinking I'm about to unveil my plan for female world domination or go on about the forthcoming extinction of men. I hate to be such a let down, and not live up to the Feminazi image our delightful patriarchal society has created for you. You know the I hate men,                        I don't shave my legs,                        I have an incurable broken heart.                        Marriage is a form of female oppression.                        Flattery disgusts me and I despise any form of femininity that is displayed to make him feel more masculine. And I'm on the streets burning barbie dolls as they are the alters used to preach to little girls the ideology that 'girls are to be seen and not heard' And I discredit every movie where the lead is male even though the justific

LIBERTAS.

I've missed this, I've missed us . It's been a while, I miss our little talks and I should tell you,I'm not at home, Physically. I know,I know I've taught you to read deep into everything I say. I want to tell you, I hope to retire as a travel writer someday God-willing, but you should know that, by now. A travel writer,  and later live in the mountains as some sort of  philosopher who documents on the revelations of enlightenment. In my quieter years. I want to tell you that school is the same, soulless and lifeless and hamsters on a wheel. I know you're reading this and laughing. All the same I'm greatful for the strides. and draw comfort from the knowledge that it is He who orders my steps and my being here is a step in the fulfillment of my personal legacy. Yes,yes.I finally read the Alchemist and it was beautiful. I'm greatful for the strides overly,utterly indebted for the strides and the light bearers